1 day in Akhaltsikhe tour program
The tour program starts at 07:00 am. Distance from Tbilisi to Vardzia 266km and takes around 4 hours to drive. We will visit the following places:
- Borjomi Park
- Vardzia Cave Monastery
- Rabati Catsle
In the morning we go direct to Vardzia Cave Monastery and have a tour for 2-3 hours there. After we go to Rabati Castle, 63km away from Vardzia approximately 1 hour drive. In the evening around 6-7 pm come back to Tbilisi.
Small information about the places we visit:
- Vardzia is a cave monastery site in southern Georgia, excavated from the slopes of the Erusheti Mountain on the left bank of the Kura River, thirty kilometres from Aspindza. The main period of construction was the second half of the twelfth century. The caves stretch along the cliff for some five hundred metres and in up to nineteen tiers. The Church of the Dormition, dating to the 1180s during the golden age of Tamar and Rustaveli, has an important series of wall paintings. The site was largely abandoned after the Ottoman takeover in the sixteenth century. Now part of a state heritage reserve, the extended area of Vardzia-Khertvisi has been submitted for future inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Rabati Castle– According to The Georgian Chronicles the city was established in the 9th century by Guaram Mampal, son of the King of Tao. From the 13th to the end of 14th centuries it was the capital city of Samtskhe-Saatabago, ruled by the Georgian princely family and a ruling dynasty of the Principality of Samtskhe, the House of Jaqeli. After the Treaty of Constantinople in 1590, the whole territory of Samtskhe-Saatabago went under the rule of Ottoman Empire. Turks Mostly used to build defensive edifices. In 1752 first mosque was built in Rabati. A mosque, a minaret, a synagogue, a Christian church, the Jakelis’ Palace, a museum and a citadel are the restored antique buildings, which can be seen at the renovation site.
- All transfers on private basis during the tour starting from airport
- Professional tour guide service (speaks English and Russian)
- 1 bottle water per person
- All applicable taxes
- 24 hour company service
- Flight tickets
- Meals except described
- Travel insurance
Note: Children under age of 6 are free of charge, from 6-15 years 30% of the price.